PDA

Voir la version complète : Nato burns the Quran

The Full Moon
23/02/2012, 13h30
Afghans protest U.S. burning of Islamic material

More than 2,000 angry Afghans, some firing guns in the air, protested on Tuesday against the improper disposal and burning of Qur'ans and other Islamic religious materials at an American air base north of Kabul.
Ahmad Zaki Zahed, chief of the provincial council, said U.S. military officials gave him about 30 Qur'ans and other religious books that were recovered before they were destroyed.

"Some are burned. Some are not burned," Zahed said, adding that the books were used by detainees once incarcerated at the base.
The materials were in trash that two soldiers with the U.S.-led coalition transported in a truck late Monday night to a pit where garbage is burned on the base, according to Zahed, who spoke with five Afghans working at the pit. He said that when the workers noticed the religious books in the trash, they stopped the disposal process.

Gen. John Allen, the U.S. commander of international troops in Afghanistan, has ordered an investigation into the incident.
" Allen said in a statement. "I assure you, I promise you, this was not intentional in any way."

"The people are very angry. The mood is very negative," Rahman said. "Some are firing hunting guns in the air, but there have been no casualties."
Police said a similar protest on Tuesday just east of Kabul ended peacefully.

Two NATO soldiers were shot and killed Thursday by a man wearing an Afghan army uniform who had joined protesters objecting to Qur'an burnings that took place at a U.S. base earlier in the week, says Reuters.

-------

What is your opinion?

Salam

The Full Moon
23/02/2012, 15h36
I heard a priest talk about this last night. I can memorize his comments as follows:

- These people do not know or learned about forgiveness.

- They can always print more books of Quran!

----

I am torn between the dignity for the book of Quran and forgiveness. Both sides have a great pull. Which side we should be on because this is one of the instances when we need to choose one side (I think).